Let me start out by confessing that Emily Haines is my favorite female singer. Ever. Everything she touches is magic. Her ghostly vocals on "Anthems Of A Seventeen Year Old Girl" by Broken Social Scene make it the standout track. Her lustful lyrics on "Poster Of A Girl" by Metric (of which she is the lead singer) make me smile as I run stadiums. The ambient pop duo tracks "Detective Daughter" and "Sprig" break my heart and mend it back together all in under 10 minutes.
So imagine my excitement when I discovered this weekend that she's planning on releasing a solo debut on September 26th called "Knives Don't Have Your Back" consisting of tracks four years in the making. You can check out two of the 12 tracks off the new album below. If it's any indication, this album is already in my top 10 of the year. I've also included her beautiful, beautiful rendition of Elliott Smith's Between The Bars. This girl can do no wrong.
Tour dates after the jump.
Solo Tour Dates(Accompanied by a back-up band with members of Broken Social Scene, Metric and The Stars)
- 9/12: Toronto, Ontario @ Toronto International Film Festival
- 9/18: Montreal, Quebec @ Le National
- 9/19: New York, NY @ Joe's Pub
- 9/21: Los Angeles, CA @ Venue TBA
- 9/22: San Francisco, CA @ Cafe du Nord
Metric Tour Dates
- 8/25: Leeds, England @ Leeds Festival
- 8/27: Reading, England @ Reading Festival
- 9/02: Montreal, Quebec @ Osheaga
- 9/03: Victoria, British Columbia @ Open Air Centennial Square
- 9/04: Seattle, WA @ Bumbershoot Festival
- 9/14: London, Ontario @ Rock The Block
- 9/15: Halifax, Nova Scotia @ The Forum
- Fredericton, New Brunswick @ UNB Cafeteria